In June 2016 Hammersmith and Fulham was one of the first areas of the country to move to Universal Credit.
In 2018 London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham held a Universal Credit summit to bring together a variety of organisations including the Department for Work and Pensions, various council departments, a number of Housing Associations and various voluntary sector organisations including H&F Foodbank, H&F Law Centre and Citizens Advice H&F.
Out of this summit, a Working Party was set up to meet monthly and try and take some local action to improve the experience of those engaging with Universal Credit locally.
One area of work was to try and give clear guidance and support to those not trained in Universal Credit but who are trying to help people navigate the system, ensure they are claiming the right benefit, take the correct next step and guide them to effective local support.
The documents below will help to guide you on:
- What to ask someone before confirming if Universal Credit is the right benefit to claim
- The Universal Credit claims process
- Some specific situations claimants may face
- Local places to get further support around Universal Credit
- Some jargon busting around Universal Credit terminology