What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit that replaces income-based Job Seekers Allowance, income-based Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and Tax Credits (both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit). It must be claimed online and is paid monthly, and it includes money for your rent. Help with Council Tax still has to be claimed separately from the Council.

If you are living in the W6 and W14 areas of Hammersmith & Fulham and would previously have made a new claim to one of the above benefits, you will have to claim Universal Credit instead, no matter your circumstances. In other parts of Hammersmith and Fulham people only have to claim Universal Credit in certain circumstances.

If you have been told you need to claim Universal Credit and want to know what that means for you, please contact Citizens Advice Hammersmith & Fulham. If you have difficulty using computers, please contact our Techtalk service, as you will have to make and manage your claim online.

For an overview of Universal Credit, please see the Universal Credit information on the Money Advice Service website.

For more detailed information see the Citizens Advice website at