Other organisations that give housing advice

If you would like to try another organisation for housing advice, the following services may help:

Although the details provided about other organisations were correct at the time of listing, ALWAYS CHECK THE ORGANISATION’S OWN WEBSITE OR CALL THEM FOR THEIR OPENING HOURS BEFORE GOING THERE.

If you are not sure what to do, call us first on 0300 330 1162.

Organisation Contact Information Information about their services
Hammersmith & Fulham Council w: Hammersmith & Fulham Council provides an extensive range of services to LBHF residents and tenants.
Hammersmith & Fulham Law Centre t: 020 3080 0330
(for all initial enquiries)
p: 363 North End Road, SW6 1NW
H&F Law Centre has legal aid contracts in housing, immigration and asylum and provides free legal advice and representation to those who are eligible under the scheme. Housing work is limited to defending possession proceedings for social housing tenants. Court proceedings must have been issued (not at NOSP stage).
Shelter – Hammersmith & Fulham t: 0344 515 1540 (to book an appointment)
p: 385 North End Road, SW6 1NP w: Shelter housing advice
Shelter is the national housing charity but has a local housing advice centre in Hammersmith & Fulham located in their charity shop, and an extensive range of housing rights information online. Housing advice for all tenants.

Citizens Advice housing pages

Citizens Advice publishes detailed information on your rights in all areas of housing law that we advise on. Click here to go to the Citizens Advice housing pages.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit that replaces income-based Job Seekers Allowance, income-based Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and Tax Credits (both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit). It must be claimed online and is paid monthly, and it includes money for your rent. Help with Council Tax still has to be claimed separately from the Council.

If you are living in the W6 and W14 areas of Hammersmith & Fulham and would previously have made a new claim to one of the above benefits, you will have to claim Universal Credit instead, no matter your circumstances. In other parts of Hammersmith and Fulham people only have to claim Universal Credit in certain circumstances.

If you have been told you need to claim Universal Credit and want to know what that means for you, please contact Citizens Advice Hammersmith & Fulham. If you have difficulty using computers, please contact our Techtalk service, as you will have to make and manage your claim online.

For an overview of Universal Credit, please see the Universal Credit information on the Money Advice Service website.

For more detailed information see the Citizens Advice website at

MIND – Hammersmith & Fulham

Mind provides provides advocacy, counselling, befriending, self-help support groups and one-one advice in benefits, debt, housing and legal rights for people suffering with mental health issues and their carers.

t: 020 7471 0581
p: Hammersmith & Fulham Mind
309 Lillie Road
London SW6 7LL

INAS Immigration & Nationality Advice Service

INAS is a fee paying service set up by the Migrant Resource Centre to provide immigration advice to those do not qualify for free immigration advice, at an affordable rate. Advice is available in community languages. Fees start at £80 for a one-off consultation.

t: 033 3335 9955
p: Derry House, 20 Penfold Street, London, NW8 8HJ

Migrant Resource Centre

The Migrants Resource Centre offers a free service to those entitled to legal aid for cases involving asylum and domestic violence. For more information, or to find out which service you need, call them or see their website for more details.

t: 020 7402 6750
p: Derry House, 20 Penfold Street, London, NW8 8HJ

Hammersmith & Fulham Law Centre

H&F Law Centre has legal aid contracts in housing, immigration and asylum. Free legal advice and representation only for areas within scope of legal aid to those eligible for assistance under the scheme.

t: 020 3080 0330
e: all initial enquiries)
p: 363 North End Road, SW6 1NW

Hammersmith & Fulham Council

Hammersmith & Fulham Council provides a checking service for settlement (only on grounds of marriage), nationality and citizenship applications and ceremonies. These are fee paying services and they do not give advice, only check applications and provide citizenship ceremonies. Services by appointments only, appointments can also be booked online.

t: 020 8753 2140

Can my employer dismiss me because I am pregnant?

If your employer dismisses you because of your pregnancy you could make a claim to an Employment Tribunal for automatic unfair dismissal (regardless of how long you have been employed) and also for pregnancy discrimination. You would need to be able to show an Employment Tribunal that the main reason for your dismissal was your pregnancy. You will need specialist help to do this.

Information about discrimination at work because of pregnancy.